Statutory Reporting Accountant
- Job description
About Naspers Group Finance:
The global Naspers finance team supports the Naspers group’s operational and strategic decision-making processes through business partnerships and providing insight into how the group performs and develops. We manage accounting and control matters globally; we drive compliance with the regulatory environments within which we operate and assist business through legal, tax and financial deal support in contract negotiations.
The statutory reporting team is responsible for the Naspers group’s public reporting and ensuring compliance with applicable regulations (including IFRS, the JSE Listings requirements and the South African Companies Act). This includes responsibility for the group’s annual financial statements, provisional and interim reports as well as results announcements. The statutory reporting team is also responsible for assisting the group’s business units with technical accounting matters and provides support to investor relations and company secretarial on public reporting matters. If you thrive in a challenging and fast-paced environment, this is the place for you.
Outputs you will be responsible for:
- Providing technical accounting and reporting guidance to the Naspers group;
- Assisting with the creation and maintenance of internal accounting policies and the internal accounting control environment, based on best practice;
- Assisting with the preparation of the statutory reporting requirements to shareholders (e.g. provisional and interim reports as well as annual financial statements and the annual integrated report) as well as internal reporting;
- Assisting with and presenting internal IFRS training to the wider group;
- Assisting with ad hoc consolidation tasks when needed;
- Assisting with ad hoc reporting projects to drive efficiencies and standardisation;
- Partnering with the international finance community within the group, mergers and acquisitions teams and tax teams to ensure consistency in the application of accounting policies throughout the group and to advise on optimal accounting outcomes where practicable;
- Building strong relationships with the group’s international finance community and becoming a trusted business partner; and
- Assisting with internal and external audit queries and requests.
*You will be required to stay abreast of IFRS and public reporting developments and pro-actively expand and deepen your practical understanding of the application of IFRS within the Naspers group.
*As part of a global organisation with a global team, working hours require flexibility and you will be working under strict deadlines and confidentiality.
Note: The tasks assigned to this position are less complex. It is expected that you will be learning the systems and understanding the group. You will be assigned those tasks which are appropriate for someone with less experience and you will receive guidance from the statutory reporting manager/team lead. You are however expected to be able to work independently and use initiative in suggesting solutions to technical accounting matters.
- Newly qualified CA(SA) with big 4 experience;
- 1-2 years post article experience (experience in a technical role would be an advantage);
- Audit of global multi-nationals would be an advantage.
Experience / Skills needed:
- Strong technical IFRS knowledge and knowledge of the regulations impacting on public reporters in South Africa (e.g. JSE listings requirements);
- Solid communication skills (verbal and written) that can bring complex messages across in a simple and understandable manner;
- Strong report writing (e.g. accounting position papers) and financial statement drafting skills;
- Highly organised individual focussed on implementing and following processes;
- Keen attention to detail (including critical self-review of all deliverables), highly diligent and can work highly accurately and efficiently;
- Strong sense of urgency and able to prioritise and finalise tasks;
- Strong process, governance and internal control knowledge and experience;
- Strong analytical skills;
- Good understanding of financial systems (Hyperion and CDM) used in the company is advantageous.
Behavioural Competencies needed to be successful:
- Ability to excel at working under pressure, adhering to strict deadlines and gets the job done;
- A passion for solving complex problems;
- Ability to see the big picture and prioritise accordingly;
- Comfortable with ambiguity and regular change;
- Ethical and high levels of personal integrity;
- Highly motivated;
- Prepared to “roll up their sleeves” and make things happen;
- Ability to debate in an open forum, express a view and contribute.