The job posted is the Procurement Manager (PM) role for Trading & Supply (T&S) South Africa – focusing on Storage & Handling (S&H) activities including but not limited to OPEX maintenance & engineering spend as well as CAPEX projects and investments for Shell-owned depots and terminals. Within T&S, the Contracting and Procurement (C&P) function is responsible for managing all third party (non-hydrocarbon) spend.
The PM role provides a unique opportunity to deliver and further embed value within the Trading & Supply Organization and further enhancing CP’s and Business delivery. Which is to be achieved by analysis and definition of business needs, market analysis and market intelligence, strategy development and strategy implementation as well as professional execution of sourcing events, negotiations, contract set up and (post award) contract and supplier management. Strong commercial acumen and ability to work through complex commercial arrangements with existing and new suppliers as well as internal stakeholders, such as Finance or HSSE is required.
The role can make a pivotal contribution to delivering and influencing S&H becoming a Most Competitive Category (MCC). Key focus is to manage procurement activities for maintenance and investment projects for Shell owned Depots and Pipelines in the Trading and Supply Downstream Business. Furthermore, aspects such as Innovation, Digitization, End-2-End-Thinking, Continuous Improvement, Portfolio Optimization Support and Collaboration with other Businesses in Shell (such as Manufacturing, Retail or Global Commercial) can describe the variety of the job.
- Effective management, implementation and execution of strategies and / or re-contracting events within South-Africa for the Storage and Handling Category
- Deliver and report continuous value improvements by developing and executing CP strategies in consideration of Global/Regional strategies and support the Global Category Manager (GCM) in the implementation of Regional Category Strategies within the cluster.
- Drive the transformation agenda for the category Storage and Handing in line with Shell South Africa aspiration
- Develop in-depth market knowledge and category and use this to explore and exploit cross-country, cross-cluster and cross-business opportunities in line with the Business Needs.
- Influence behavior of Contract Holders and Contract Owners from a commercial perspective (40/40/20). Interact with Business stakeholders to align and maintain close relationship on an ongoing level.
- Manage and conduct tenders and negotiations. Award contracts in consideration of value optimization (40/40/20) including HSSE and financial aspects as well as speed of delivery and global strategy direction/business objectives.
- Manage contract and supplier relationships including resolution of operational and/or supplier performance issues related to the contracts. Embed innovation and continuous improvement for efficiencies in collaboration with Contract Holders and Owners
- Ensure compliance and follow the defined Category Management and Contracting Process (CMCP) requirements as well as the applicable HSSE Control Frameworks (CF) and utilizing available tools such as SHARP for contract management and sourcing Events
- Understand the regional markets associated with the service requirements of Shell terminals and depots and apply knowledge of these markets to drive efficiency and ensure HSSE targets are met.
- Manage and communicate effectively, proactively and professionally with multiple stakeholders and the team to influence current working practices and to ensure business buy-in and alignment. in new approaches to work and value Delivery.
- Develop an external focus in the market and a commercial mindset to maximize opportunities in the market for Storage and Handling.
- Identify opportunities for supplier base optimization and cross-Business collaboration (i.e. with Manufacturing or Retail).
- Enhance and support (post-award) contract management and manage supplier relationship/performance with high levels of professionalism with Business Contract Holders and Owner for value contributions.
- Ability to understand and work through complex commercial arrangements with existing and new suppliers. Apply new Shell contract model templates and contracting strategies, such as Schedule of Norms (SoN).
- Look for innovative approaches to develop new value improvement opportunities in a volatile economic Environment.
- Work in a virtual environment with internal and external interfaces. Represent the face of Shell to the supplier market.
- Primary geographic scope is South-Africa
- Multiple Business Partners and Stakeholder in different levels in the organization
- External Interfaces to the market and suppliers
- Managing spend of approx. 40 mln USD p.a. (OPEX / CAPEX)
- Strategic, Tactical and HSSE High Risk Service Contracts
Country of Work LocationSouth Africa
City, State (if applicable)Johannesburg
Company DescriptionShell has been active in South Africa since 1902. Our main business activities in South Africa include Retail and Commercial Fuels, Lubricants and Oils, Aviation, Marine, Manufacturing and Upstream Exploration. Our head office in South Africa is based in Johannesburg.
Throughout its long association with South Africa, Shell has played an important role in the country, not only as a premier oil company, but also as a committed corporate citizen and change agent.
Our core values of honesty, integrity and respect for people form the basis of the Shell General Business Principles.
RequirementsThe job requires a strong commercial mindset to fulfill the role of Procurement Manager for managing i.e. OPEX and CAPEX activities linked to the Storage & Handling category and the T&S Business and requires an individual capable of managing significant S&H Contracts both internal and managing external suppliers, Business partners and stakeholders.
- Good understanding of Downstream business (direction/strategy) and operating models
- Ability to think strategically at the longer-term objectives at business and contract level
- Ability to drive change and manage / influence stakeholders, including senior ones
- Formal qualification in technical/commercial discipline (Minimum Bachelor University degree).
- Sound Commercial experience and technical understanding/background, specifically for project and maintenance execution
- Commercial experience in executing projects and technical/commercial understanding/background of the S&H business, including, market dynamics and Supply chain considerations
- Experienced in IT systems such as GSAP and relevant standard MS-Software for Data Processing, Spend Analysis and other Systems and Tools
- T&S Business / Supply Chain knowledge / understanding or background beneficial
- Ability to adapt and move fast to keep pace with the business
- Polished relationship management skills.
No. of Positions1
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.