PURPOSE: • To plan and deliver key Business Unit (BU) communication initiatives and projects • To manage the BU’s internal communication channels • To manage the BU’s day-to-day communication activities • To support stakeholder communication and engagement aligned to stakeholder affairs agenda • To align BU initiatives/processes with corporate communications.
The incumbent will inter alia be responsible for the following:
Safe and Healthy Work Environment
• Maintain and ensure a healthy environment and safe operations practices. Ensure compliance with all applicable SHE policies and procedures in line with set standards
• Encourage a culture that focuses on safety in all operations.
Compliance, Governance and Assurance
• Ensure all communication activities are delivered in accordance with Exxaro, stakeholder affairs and corporate communications policies, guidelines, systems and procedures
• Adhere to sound corporate governance principles, address any discrepancies
• Ensure/monitor compliance with governance (stakeholder strategy, guidelines, policies and procedures)
• Ensure message/activity consistency and alignment to business approach/focus areas by coordinating with management
• Ensure alignment of practices to relevant governance/frameworks, drive integration of communications activities
• Plan and project manage all internal communication and external communication (to local stakeholders) projects, initiatives and campaigns in support of the group strategy, BU (Business Unit) objectives, stakeholder affairs priorities and corporate/BU communication strategic plan
• Plan for and execute all communication activities related to communication project incl. develop content, manage design/production of collateral by service providers, engage and manage media service providers, branding and event management
• Engage internal subject matter experts
• Engage and support corporate communications team in roll-out of group- wide internal communication projects at BUs
• Manage communication of corporate/BU announcements internally.
• Liaise with corporate communication team to communicate announcements externally
• Manage communication projects’ budgets.
• Manage events and execution (including Social and Labour Plan (SLP) project handover initiatives).
• Support external community communication activities such as project launches.
• Engage internal subject matter experts
• Support corporate communications team in the roll-out of group-wide internal communication projects at the Bus
• Provide the leadership with guidance on SHEC communications and campaigns
• Assist the BU functions with the development of targeted communication interventions
• Develop and implement campaigns and communication initiatives to support safety.
• Provide inputs to group corporate communication strategic plan
• Develop and execute BU communication plan. Ensure plan is aligned to BU stakeholder affairs, group stakeholder affairs and corporate communications strategic plans
• Actively manage day-to-day operation of communication activities at BU. Create and improve guidelines/processes to ensure smooth day-to-day operation of communication activities at BU
• Engage BU management, corporate communications and BU departments in delivery of BU communication
• Prepare/manage BU communications budget
• Support development of corporate communications and brand policies, standards, guidelines, procedures, processes etc. and entrench at BU
• Actively participate in stakeholder affairs functional and cross- functional forums/COPs as required to ensure alignment/coordination/integration.
• Develop and implement interventions and communication plans to positively impact employee engagement and behaviour e.g. cost savings drive (operational excellence), business related announcements, change communication (Connect2Next), Exxaro 2026 Strategy and the corporate communication internal strategy.
• Manage, plan, implement, monitor and report Business Unit (BU) communication initiatives, campaigns and projects in line with group strategy, policies and procedures. (internal, external, change, brand, PR communication)
• Create communication collateral e.g. videos, MMS’s, SMS’s, articles, posters etc. to communicate group initiatives such as 2026 Strategy and Connect2Next to all employees.
• Develop, implement and sustain integrated communication network within the BU.
• Manage communication channels print and electronic channels incl. service providers and content
• Source/create/edit/publish content for communication channels and ensure content is up to date and relevant for employee audience
• Develop and implement editorial content plans for channels in support of and aligned to BU communication campaigns/initiatives
• Liaise with BU subject matter experts to obtain content
• Develop content for group internal/external communication channels, as required
• Prepare operational specific communications and briefings and reviews proposed communications prior to internal release at the operations
• Explore new channels and tools to appeal to the hearts and minds of employees.
• Support BU management with local media engagement.
• Manage the relationship with all local media outlets
• Monitor local media opinions/coverage and report to corporate communications, manager stakeholder affairs and management
• Build relations with local media and serve as primary contact for local media incl. responding to queries/requests for information etc.
• Engage corporate communications to align media interactions
• Proactively identify/take advantage of opportunities to create brand awareness, build reputation and secure positive local media coverage. Engage corporate communications to align brand awareness
• Manage and support crisis communication in collaboration with manager stakeholder affairs,
BU management and corporate communications
• Support the development of communication self-service content, as required
• Utilise group processes and tools to enable line managers to communicate group/BU initiatives to employees and customise for relevant stakeholders
• Manage key BU events/VIP visits
• Support stakeholder engagement and communication initiatives to ensure stakeholders understand the BU/Exxaro and are aware of the BU’s community development initiatives
• Identify and contract service providers and manage provision of services incl. costs, delivery etc.
• Address performance issues to ensure seamless service delivery and adherence to Exxaro governance.
• Ensure local suppliers within host communities are used
• Support Supply Chain with their initiatives in communicating these to employees.
Demonstrates the following:
• Creativity, collaboration, sociable and awareness to the ecosystem
• Stewardship, accountability, ability to develop trust, safety conscious and ethical
• Ability to respond quickly to business needs/agility, flexibility, continuous learning, innovation and proven ability to experiment on creative business solutions
• Ability to be inclusive, eagerness for multiple skills, embraces multiple cultures, accepts different approaches and be human-centric/empathetic
• Results oriented, quality driven, excellence, entrepreneurial abilities, efficient and effective
· N Dip: Communication (Essential/Minimum)
· Certificate First Line Management (Essential/Minimum)
· BA Communication Science (Recommended/Desirable or)
· BCom Communication Management (Recommended/Desirable)
3-5 years Relevant experience at a mining/resources company in communication, incl. development of communication plan, budget management, communication project management, writing/editing, communication channel management, brand management.
Importance : Essential/Minimum
Involvement : Operational
· Certificate of Fitness (Essential/Minimum)
· Psychometric Assessment (Essential/Minimum)
The appointment will be made in accordance with Exxaro’s Employment Equity policy.
If you have not been contacted within 28 days of the closing date of this advertisement, please accept that your application was unsuccessful. Companies may expire jobs at their own discretion.If you have not received a response within two weeks, your application was most likely unsuccessful.