Kaizer Chiefs are through to the semifinals of the Telkom Knockout Cup

Bernard Parker’s first half goal ensured Kaizer Chiefs’ passage to the Telkom Knockout semi-finals with a 1-0 win over Chippa United.

It was the home side who applied the early pressure with Mpho Mvelase being denied by a diving save by Itumeleng Khune after the winger’s effort from 12-yeards out in the third minute.

Andile Mbenyane should have put Chippa ahead in the 8th minute after miscommunication from Khune and Eric Mathoho eventually set the midfielder free but he failed to find the target from in side the box.

Chiefs’ defence was all over the place as Lerato Manzini’s effort in the 20th minute was blocked by a last-ditch dive from Mathoho.

Kaizer Chiefs were awarded a penalty after James Okwuoso brought down Joseph Molongoane in the box. Bernard Parker stepped up and converted to give Chiefs a 1-0 lead in the 30th minute.

Chiefs thought they had found their second goal when Willard Katsande headed the ball into the back of the net in the 37th minute, only to be judged to have fouled Okuoso.

The halftime whistle was blown and Chiefs took their 1-0 lead into the break.

Chippa made early changes in the second half with Samuel Julies coming on for Lerato Manzini as Kurt Lentjies replaced Andile Mbenyane.

Hendrick Ekstein was set up by Tshabalala just inside the box in the 60th minute but his poorly-executed effort sailed over the bar.

Julies’ 80th minute free-kick went over the wall and dipped in time but failed to really trouble Khune as the keeper made a comfortable save.

Siyabonga Ngezana recovered well after giving the ball away to make a crucial tackle which denied Julies an opportunity to cross the ball.

Khune collided with Lentjies in the box in a foul which saw the talismanic keeper substituted as both players could not continue after the collision.

Daniel Cardoso took over the goalkeeper’s role for the remaining minute of the game as Chiefs had used up all their substitutions.

Chippa United failed to find an equaliser as Kaizer Chiefs ran out 1-0 winners and booked their spot in the Telkom Knockout semi-finals.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.